About Reclaim Hosting
Reclaim Hosting is a higher ed web hosting company focused on providing institutions, educators, and students with flexible web hosting space and intentional community support. Founded in 2013, Reclaim Hosting set out to make web hosting tools easy to work with in a classroom setting. In short, this means we want to empower the academic community to have an authentic and personal relationship with the technology they use. Fast forward almost 10 years later, we’re continuing to drive that mission by creating a niche support hub and learning community for curious minds and creative tinkerers, whether they have a background in Instructional Design, advanced IT Support, or somewhere in between.
Visit our website or head to our Careers page for more information about our mission and core values.
Title: Junior Systems Administrator
Job Type: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Starting Salary Range: $55k to $65k
Work Location: Fully Remote; must reside in the United States.
We’re looking for a Junior Systems Administrator to join our team and assist with building and maintaining our cloud-based infrastructure that supports this growing community. This position will also jump in on roadmap projects, assist with escalated support requests, and collaborate closely with the core Reclaim team to provide a top-tier experience for customers. This role is highly collaborative, and requires a strong sense of ownership around the work at hand.
The ideal candidate for this role will have worked for cloud hosting providers or managed service providers in a customer-centric environment with tight delivery deadlines. This candidate should be highly motivated to learn about new technologies, stay on top of industry trends, and constantly on the lookout for ways to better themselves and their team. This role will provide opportunities to expand skills in container-based infrastructure, software/security improvements, cPanel administration, and customer support.
- Deployment of new infrastructure and improvements to deployment operations.
- Troubleshooting and maintenance of a wide array of servers and network related services such as physical & hardware layer, web / mail / dns / database, routing / switching / firewall devices.
- Provide technical troubleshooting and support to external customers in coordination with the Reclaim Hosting Support team.
- Work cross-functionally with Reclaim Hosting Sales and EdTech teams to resolve issues and provide consultation on larger projects.
- Document internal procedures and “how-to” guides for the Infrastructure team.
- Actively participate in regular professional development as it relates to your position, team, and company goals.
- Relevant BS degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 2-3 years professional experience in the IT field, preferably with a hosting provider.
- Strong experience troubleshooting and maintaining cPanel/WHM, LAMP-based, and container-based server environments.
- Ability to script, setup open source CMS solutions such as WordPress and Drupal.
- Knowledge of Unix-based operating systems like RHEL/CentOS, Ubuntu, and Debian
- Comfortable using command line tools (bash, vim, etc)
- Knowledge in TCP/IP, Subnetting, DNS and how the Internet works.
- Knowledge of customer service principles, techniques, systems, and standards.
- Comfortable working with people, and must be able to resolve and translate both technical and non-technical concepts to new learners.
- Able to take ownership of issues and ensure timely and thorough resolution of issues to the customers satisfaction
- Exceptional attitude, punctual, responsive, and able to deal with uncertainty in an extremely high-paced, virtual environment
- Excellent communication, organization, and teamwork skills. Not afraid to ask questions, share ideas, or collaborate with others
- Strong interest in learning new technology and applications
Note: Candidates that have experience with the following technologies will be given preference. Otherwise, you will be learning and working day-to-day with these technologies.
Some of the technologies used by Reclaim Hosting and community:
- Reclaim Cloud/Virtuozzo, Docker, DigitalOcean, AWS Lightsail, and other virtualization platforms and providers
- Operating Systems: CentOS, Ubuntu, Cloudlinux
- Web Servers: Apache, Nginx, Litespeed
- Database Tools: MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Workbench
- Email: Exim, Dovecot
- DNS: PowerDNS, Named, Bind, Cluster DNS
- Provisioning: Ansible, Bash Scripting, Cloud Config, Docker
- Networking and Security: IPtables, Configserver Firewall, Bitninja, ModSecurity
- CMS: WordPress, Omeka, Drupal, WHMCS, Ghost, Scalar, and many more
- Scripting Languages: PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Node
Reclaim Hosting is highly focused on creating a welcoming and healthy company culture that all of our team members can enjoy and benefit from. We want Reclaim to be a space where good work is acknowledged, and where folks have the room and flexibility to learn & grow. All full time employees receive:
- Generous vacation time, sick leave, company holidays, and other protected absences
- Health Insurance (medical, vision, dental) & Life Insurance
- Retirement: 401K with 3% Employer Matching Contributions
- $500/year in Professional Development Funds to put towards learning materials, courses, trainings, events, etc.
- Flexibility to work entirely from home
- “Getting Started” funds for your home office, including a company laptop
- 10% rent/mortgage reimbursement after one year of employment
- Ability to grow within an evolving company